Thursday, May 1, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Title: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Author: Barbara Kingsolver
faber & faber, 2007

In this non-fiction account, one of my favourite authors is giving us the story of how her family (one husband, two daughters) tries to live of the produce of their own land (and the produce of local farmers) for one year. These days, with global warming looming on the horizon, no book could have been more appropriate or relevant, and probably isn't.

Kingsolver's metaphores and similes are, as always, a delight, and the chapter about how turkeys have sex (apparently, they don't nowadays, but the author makes them!) is hilarious. The tone is, however, wholesome, patrotic, cheerleadery - Miss Goody-Two-Shoes meets Miss Smartypants - and that is a bother at times. Until I realise that whichever way her story rubs me, she's making a damn good point, and what's bugging me is probably my own lazyness.

No comments: