Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Super Crunchers

Title: Super Crunchers
Author: Ian Ayres
John Murray, 2008 (2007)

I started reading Super Crunchers on the sly (I just noticed I did not update my "currently reading"-section.) Naturally, since there is a blurb from one of the Freakonomics-authors on the cover and they deal with the same topic: numbers, I can not help comparing the two. Freakonomics is the winner by far. Where it is fun, relevant and thought-provoking, Super Crunchers is, at best, amusing, somewhat interesting and, okay, relevant, but not in a way that makes me care. So, I will pass this baby on to two friends I am seeing tomotrrow, two math teachers. You know the type:)

PS. Super Crunchers is about how you can make instant predictions using the numbers of large data bases and, thereby, make more informed choices. Yada, yada, yada.

No comments: