Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Short History of Nearly Everything

Title: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Author: Bill Bryson
Black Swan, 2004 (2003)

It took me a while but I finally got through it, and I'm happy to announce that it was well worth the effort. From being a science imbecil, I have now evolved, thanks to Bill Bryson, and feel as if I would actually be able to hold my own in, at least, an ill-informed, sketchy, generalistic discussion on the subject. Victoria may need more to prep for the Nobel prize dinner, but this would certainly make a good start.

Bryson covers indeed, nearly everything: the very big (cosmos) and the very small (the atom), as well as the history of the universe, our planet and its inhabitants. This is the perfect book to read alongside something else. It is not as wildly funny as Bryson's other books, but on the other hand the subject matter is more interesting on its own behalf, as opposed to say, the queing practises of the English which might need a bit of humor to engage the reader.

No comments: