Thursday, May 7, 2009

How to be Good

Title: How to be Good
Author: Nick Hornby
Penguin, 2001

Some people find this novel funny. I think it is the darkest novel by Hornby to date. The novel is based on the premise that if you have the means to do good, you should. And, I assume, for people who find this idea preposterously bizarre the novel will appear humorous. The kind of humor that makes you laugh when people fall on their asses. I just feel the heaviness of Western, middle-class, privilege on my shoulders. In the end, Hornby recues the reader with a final message: first, you have to take care of yourself and the people close to you, then you can start bothering about saving the world. So, I better get cracking on my loved ones.

It was a bit too grown-up for the students. The intricasies of marriage, age and complacency is not something that immediatly speaks to you when you are 17 going on 18 And maybe it shouldn't.

No comments: